|photo courtesy Erin Sharaf|
What are some of your favorite mindful eating practices?
For me, mindful eating means staying as conscious and awake as I can for every step of the process of nourishing myself, starting with buying the food. I ask myself questions like:
- Was there cruelty and suffering involved with this? If so, I don’t want to contribute to that or put it into my body.
- Is it loaded with artificial ingredients and extra sugar or is it close to the earth?
- Is it genetically modified?
- Sprayed with pesticides?
- Treated with hormones?
- How far did it have to travel to reach me?
- Was a virgin rainforest cut down and many animals displaced for this to reach my plate (as often happens with palm oil)?
- Is this food or industry contributing to global warming (as with the beef industry)?
I do all this with great love so it doesn’t feel complicated or burdensome. By the time I’m actually eating, I can stay present with my food and be grateful for it bite by bite, because I know I made the highest and best choice I could make for my individual body and for my planet.