Sara Weis is a mother and elementary school teacher, as well as an experienced kids yoga instructor and teacher trainer. So she has a lot of useful suggestions for how to structure and pace a class while keeping kids safe and engaged.
But her biggest strength is as the creator of fun yoga-based activities. Her new book, Go Go Yoga for Kids: Yoga Lessons for Children has dozens of games and activities: Yoga Bingo! Princesses and pirates! Not to mention the four seasons, birthdays, the Olympics, and trips to the farm and circus. (Although I suspect one of the most popular themes might turn out to be the "Quick-and-Easy No-Time-to-Plan Kids Yoga Lesson.")
Other features of the book include:
- a variety of breathing practices;
- the best yoga poses for children;
- three different versions of a template for planning your own lessons;
- a dozen lessons based on read-aloud books, including I Am Yoga and I Am Peace by Susan Verde; and
- an illustrated Pose Glossary (which would also be useful for d/Deaf-friendly teaching)
Yoga Lessons for Kids can be used as a complement to Go Go Yoga: A Complete Guide to Yoga with Kids, or on its own if you already have some training and experience in kids yoga.
Ms. Weis has also created a set of 4x6" Yoga Challenge Pose Cards that can be used on their own or in conjunction with the books.
Be sure to check back on Saturday March 31 for a sample lesson plan and tips on using yoga cards and mantras.